When you arise in the morning, think of what a privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

-- Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Prepared?

No, I'm not really as prepared to start this tomorrow as I would like to be. I figure I'll just jump in and get started, hopefully improving each day as I go along. I know that I'll stop drinking soft drinks tomorrow. And if it's in my house or I purchase it, I'll be reading the label for that nasty corn syrup. That stuff is tricky. At least the people who make the labels are. When I went through food allergy testing a year and a half ago, I had to call the companies of a couple of items because I couldn't tell if the what was listed on the label was high fructose corn syrup or not. I can't remember now how it was worded, but it was different enough to make you think it wasn't hfcs and it was indeed hfcs.



I will not be able to weigh in the morning. Our scale is all messed up. Somehow my dogs have reprogrammed it to tell weight in stones. We can't find the booklet that came with it and we haven't been able to figure out how to change it back. Stones do sound like less weight to me since I don't know how much a stone is though. I can tell you that the last time I went to the doctor (2 or 3 weeks ago), I weighed 260.4 pounds. That's the most I've ever weighed in my life. Even more than I weighed on the day I gave birth to my son. It was very difficult to write that number here for all of you to see. My husband does not know my weight. My best friends don't know my weight. Neither do my momma or sister. I am 5 foot 3 inches tall, so as you can see, I'm a short, very fat woman. I am obese. In fact, I believe the correct medical term would be morbidly obese. That was very difficult to write also. I don't know if I've gained weight since I last saw the doctor or not. I will just assume that I have not and assume that my weight is what is stated above. I'm sorry, I couldn't write it again.



My knee is hurt at the moment. I used to trip and step in holes and end up falling all the time. I still do, but much less often now because I'm more careful and I actually watch were I walk. I always landed on my knees when I fell and I hit the hardest on my right knee. So that, with the added weight, has caused me to have knee problems. They are not normally severe problems. They have been for the last few weeks. I don't know what I did. I went to bed one night just fine and when I got up the next morning, my right knee was in great pain. When I was at my sister's a few days ago, she let me try her TENS unit on it. If you are not familiar with a TENS unit, let me tell you that it's a little device that you use to attach electrodes to the affected area and it give you little electric pulses to stimulate the area. It can lessen pain and the need for pain medication. It helped me so much more than I would have expected. I'll be talking to my doctor about getting one the next time I'm there. I may even be able to start exercise if I have one.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for doing this!!!

    I will be thinking about you tomorrow and wondering how the first day is going....

    I feel like I am sending my kid off to school or something!

    And I was curious, so I had to look it up---a stone is 14 pounds.

    There, we all learned something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have gone all day without knowing how much a stone was! ;) Thanks Pam.

    ReplyDelete